Thursday, February 11, 2016

Losar Tashi Delek!



Losar Tashi Delek,

The Buddha in the photo is Maitreya, the future Buddha of Universal Love, seems like a nice image to start off the Tibetan New Year with.  Some of you may not know this, but the Tibetan calendar is based on the lunar cycle, so the New Year just began Feb. 9, 2016/Tibetan year 2143.

Life here at Thosamling is moving along in winter's way, which is often a steady 55 degrees indoors and out.  Yesterday we caught a nice break of clear skies, sunshine, 74 degrees to go out and deliver our Losar baskets to His Holiness the Dalai Lama's residence, the abbot of Namgyal Monastery (HHDL's Temple in McLeod Ganj0, Jhado Rinpoche (abbout of Guyto Tantric Monastery, His Holiness the Karmapa's main residence) and another lovely Geshe La who is head of the Tibetan Library and Institute of Buddhist Philosophy.  So much fun to go around offering lovely baskets full of fruit, nuts, incense, and offer Khatags to everyone.  I also requested to take the novice vows eventually leading to full getsulma vows from the abbout of HHDL's monastery yesterday.  It seems that the first step, the Rabjung, or novice vows may happen in March.  

I have the robes, but not the haircut yet.  I posted a photo on FB that appears like it is all shaved but it is just pulled back for now.  Patience is definitely a virtue and in the meantime, there is plenty to occupy life: organic gardens, sign painting for the Nunnery, prayer flags to be taken down and switched out, daily karma yoga jobs, lots of study and prayer, Tibetan language class starts next week, 4 hours a day.  I have to learn all the prayers in Tibetan, including the entire Heart Sutra, before the full ordination.  So, not shortage on things to keep me busy.  And each morning, we are in the temple by 5:50AM until 7:00AM for morning meditation and prayer.    Sunday we have off, and we had a little break for Losar on the early morning commitment.  

Thank you all for your love, prayers, support and spiritual friendship along this pathless path.  I plan to come back to the US this November for a month's visit.  Until then, you are all tucked warmly in my heart!

All my love

4 comments:

  1. Funny - I did know it was the Tibetan New year because I have a Tibetan student this year in my kindergarten and he told me about it! I am so glad you are writing this blog so we can hear about your journey. Big hugs to you, Lisa!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi E!

      Thank you for the note and so nice to hear from you! Dream that we will meet over here in India one day, do some pilgrimage/travel/journey with Laurie & maybe Sara G when she is older?!!! Or whomever else would like to come along, Bill, Owen, etc. Hope that you are keeping your heart full and feet steady as your parents and children and selfless self age along the road of life. You are in my heart and prayers! All my love, Lisa

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Lisa. I am putting in my email address.
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Lisa. I am putting in my email address.
    Paula

    ReplyDelete