Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Greetings from the view of a new backyard

Hello dears,

This is what I see first thing in the morning as I rise and shine... well, no.  Not exactly.  I see only the dark night sky at 5:30AM, which is 15 minutes before the morning gong for prayer at the temple will be sounded.  But this view is what I see from the steps of my room here at Thosamling.  The name of the nunnery means, "Place of hearing and contemplation."  Oh yah.  It is.

The scale in this photo does not accurately capture the grandeur and magnificence of the Himalayas.  We are completely nestled in a valley, so enjoy a microclimate much warmer than Dharamsala, which is about 20 minutes away.  The village is called Sidipur, which means "Place of realizations."  
Oh yah. Again.

So, the area that I dwell in, the nuns' building, is a 'silent always' zone.  It took a bit of a transition to get used to this, especially after just spending 2 weeks in South India at Tashi Lhunpo monastery with 32,000 people!  Anyway, turn and face the strange changes...little nod to the late great David Bowie.

Overall, this is a wonderful place to arrive to.  There are not many people here in the moment as it is winter and an off season (no classes going on until February and many nuns off traveling).  There are about 6 nuns from various countries, 4 lay practitioners, 2 volunteer grounds keepers, and a lovely community of locals who run the kitchen and bakery.  Food is very tasty but a bit heavy on the carb side and low on the protein, so I will have to figure that out, as I have met two women who have developed diabetes from this lack of nutrition based diet during their travels in India and Nepal.  Any and all suggestions welcomed!

Had a rough night of illness, sweats and runs, and lots of sleep. It left me humbled and grateful to have a bed and pillow, even if the room was 55 degrees without heat.  I have recovered and now fallen in love with a hot water bottle that shares my bed nightly!  Then even 54-50 is tolerable. Reminds me of the coal fired oven in East Berlin Prussian winters. Wearing a sleeping cap helps, too.

There are a few Americans here, and I am happy for the company and guidance as I was feeling a bit unmoored initially.  One woman helps out in the office and uses the lay practitioners hostel as a home base of sorts.  There are a few resident nuns, but generally everyone has her own thing going on: laywomen professors here translating or completing books on Tibetan Buddhism, retreat women doing qi going and silence. No speaking in the dining halls during any meals.  So, you can get the feel.  

Lots of intentionality!  Not a bad thing at all.  I have always loved the Buddha's edict,"Do not speak unless what you have to say can improve upon the silence."
Or as I said to a dear artist friend in Maine who is a woman of few words and therefore does not enjoy openings very much," Most talk is over-rated and under-appreciated so don't take it too seriously."

Anyway, I will try to add a few more photos to the Face Book page but wanted to drop a line.  


Here's a closer of the moon from the roof of the nunnery this evening.  Good night.  All my love, xxx





17 comments:

  1. PS If you click on the images you will enjoy a nice view of the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, I'm so happy for you on your arrival and forthcoming experience at the nunnery. I'm interested in the intention of the vow of silence. If it's to focus the mind, wouldn't communication of any sort - such as this blog, or email - distract as much as talking? Or is the purpose of the vow to not disturb others?

    Separately, re nutrition, as you might know I've been a vegetarian for close to seven years (and a healthy one at that, I believe). Are nuts, seeds, or beans available to you? If so they are a great protein source, and coupled with grain make a "complete" protein.

    Dave Zweig

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you, Dave! You are correct about limiting the time we spend on this kind of communique as well. It distracts from our vow of renunciation, and it takes the mind off of the higher goal of complete union. But alas, I am enjoying some final days of freedom without breaking vows of any sort as I am still in long hair and street clothes! I will self impose an email diet of 3 times max a week, and mostly for connections with people who I am mentoring or need direct contact. The vow is also not to disturb others here who are in intense retreat of complete silence and deep practices. Overall, it is not a vow of silence that has anything to do with taking robes. We need to communicate and share dharma but this is particularly to this living community that I am part of now.

      Like the advice on the nutrition of the seeds and nuts coupled with grains, mostly white rice, which isn't the strongest candidate. Glad, also, to hear of your vegetarian ways! I have been vegetarian, primarily vegetarian, since I was 23, so about 26 years (give or take a bit of fleisch in Germany and fish in Hawaii and chicken and a lobster or 2 in Maine). It is the most humane way to eat and live! All the best XXX

      Delete
  3. Good morning dear Lisa, Lovely to read you and see how well you are settling in. I do so love that part of India! In my mind's eye, I can just capture your surroundings including the silent meal table. Every cell of your body will be rejuvenated! A stay at home day for me as I have let my body be overtaken by a fierce sinusitis, something unheard of in my previous life. Interesting experience which I hope not to repeat. So I am moving slowly in the quiet house, woodstove roaring as we expect our next snowstorm, Kalou curled up with red Astro by my side. Just wanted to give you a warm hug to accompany you today. Be well as you embrace your new being. With Love from Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, my dear Regine! Sorry to hear of your illness and we will dedicate morning prayers for a quick recovery of your health! Feel embraced from my heart XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Lisa,
    This blog is helpful for me. I just returned from a week of solitude with the exception of my dog who was a terrific companion in silence. I didn't go to a retreat center as solitude was the goal in addition to silence. Slowing down was difficult and desire for online communication was strong. A pretty good loneliness set in after I disconnected and slowed down. I am familiar with weeks of intentional solitude and this phase of desire. Later I was able to settle and experience the fullness of being.
    Gratitude to you for being. It seems to me you are a light out ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Om tare tuttatre ture soha! Om mani padme hum! Deep appreciation and love for you. Thank you for the note.

      Delete
  6. I was just wondering if you can do e-mail there when this popped in to my mailbox. We must be tuned in. :-) I'm so glad that your journey is going well. Sending prayers for your health..I hope they're not heating with coal.

    I'm snug in my little cabin, working on a new website that I hope to have finished before I show my art work on the dome of the planetarium at USM on Jan 31st. Needless to say, this is not currently the little retreat that I had been looking forward to when I moved in. Well it's still peaceful here, but a couple of weeks ago the juices started flowing again and my mind is going a a mile a minute with ideas, paragraphs, talking points, and the like...it's wonderful, and I"m doing my best to keep a balance...that said, I"d better tay on track and get back to work. Sending lots of love and warm wishes, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie,
      Cool to hear about the show of your Prayers Made Visible at USM planetarium. Certainly will be inspiring and "out of this world" so to speak! Glad you are in creative energy, it is really needed right now...keep putting out your visions. Have the travel tag on my red suitcase. Let me know when the website is up. All love xxx

      Delete
  7. Lisa! Been thinking of you & wondering. Love sharing the beautiful views with you. The moon can take on new meaning when we see it from another vantage point, and also- it can strike especially deeply when when we are alone, while reminding us that we are not alone! Feeling fortunate to stay in touch with you. I look forward to hearing about your excellent and virtuous adventures, listening to your inspiring and heartfelt messages sent to the universe. Sending all good qualities- and so much love. Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Dharma sister, great to hear your voice. I spoke to Geshe La about your & Fiona's potential Ladakhi trip and he was open to that idea. You can directly chat or message with him via Face Book. Best way. Let me know if I can help at all. Of course, you are both welcomed here at Thosamling to come stay as lay people and go up to McLeod ganj and hang at some teachings with His Holiness the Dalai Lama, too. Now there's an idea...! All love xxx

      Delete
  8. Hello Friend! So glad you have made it safely on your journey, and have started your new chapter with the grace you always possess. We have been on a roller coaster with lots of trips down to Boston, but the dust has settled and we are now into a comfortable routine.
    Last night Olivia looked out my classroom window and squealed," Look mom a crescent moon!" We turned off the light and soaked up its beauty. And there you are on the other side of the world looking at that same crescent moon. I hope you feel the love that connects us together as you travel down this road!-Love, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Indeed, feeling maha Bodhicitta, the great Love, and maha Karuna, the Great Compassion. What more could an aspiring monastic ask for?! A healthier diet, and a little heat, but hey, beggars can't be choosers. Ha, ha! Thanks for sharing, love and prayers and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Lisa, Thank you for breaking silence and sharing your moon with us! I just returned from East End Beach where Eva Rose Goetz led a beautiful service for a man of 40 who died of brain cancer last week. His blog My Brain Cancer Diary has a great selection from last February, all about renunciation and joie de vivre, like you. Will email it. Love, CM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear your loving voice here, too! Thank you and stay in touch XXX

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Lisa, So good to hear that you are settled into your new life and thank you for sharing the beautiful view as you awake to your day. I think of you often and am so happy to hear that you are surrounded by good company, even though a silent one at times. Sending love, hugs and good wishes your way, Jen (Will email you soon!)

    ReplyDelete